What Is WES Evaluation?
The World Education Services (WES) converts educational credentials of students who studied in India (or any other country) into their US equivalents.
In other words, it converts the degrees, diplomas, and certificates awarded by Indian Universities and represented in percentages/CGPA into their academic equivalent programs/courses in the US in GPA on a scale of 4.0.
What Are The Types Of Evaluation?
WES Offers Two Types Of Services:
- Document-by-Document: It contains a description of your credentials, including name, year awarded, the name of institution attended, and major field of study. It also provides the US equivalent for each credential. Those going for employment or immigration purposes generally opt for this evaluation if the employer so requires.
- Course-by-Course: It contains all of the information in a Document-by-Document evaluation and in addition, it lists all post-secondary subjects with their corresponding value expressed in terms of US semester credit and grade equivalents. For those applying for MS in the US, universities ask them to go for a course-by-course method by WES.
why it is important?
Many universities ask for WES evaluation so that they can better understand your academic performance.
Can I Not Get Admission Into MS In US Without WES?
Yes, you can. There are many universities which do not ask for WES evaluation. Note that only good universities ask for WES evaluation. So, if the university to which you are applying asks for it, then it shows that the university is of a good standard.
When can I get My Credentials Evaluated?
Get ready with your evaluated credentials before you apply for the universities which ask for WES evaluation of your credentials. If none of the universities you are applying to ask for credentials check, then you need not worry about that.
However, if you want to take a transfer to some other university after joining one university, it might be a problem if the one you are planning to go to asks for WES evaluation. so, get the evaluation done when you are in India.
Is There Any Advantage Of Getting WES?
You can apply to universities in which WES is mandatory. Every student won’t apply for WES. So, competition would be relatively less when you apply to the universities requiring WES evaluation.
What Is The Process?
- Visit WES website (“http://www.wes.org/) and register.
- You need to send photocopies of final/provisional degree directly to WES and transcripts/mark sheets should be sent by the university which issued them or you can obtain attested photocopies in a sealed cover from the university and forward the same to WES.
- Select the departments in the universities that want to send your WES report to. You can add as many as you want.
- Your evaluation will be on hold if WES sends the documents to the University for verification.
Note that WES may not proceed with the evaluation process if any of the documents is missing. So, be sure that you submit all the documents in the required format.
How Much Does It Cost?
The evaluation costs around Rs.10,000 (USD 160). Each report costs USD 30 and delivery charges are extra. If you are opting for WES International Credential Advantage Package (ICAP), it may cost you more.
How Long Does It Take?
It generally takes 7 business days or less. The additional research, correspondence or verification process will take longer.