CPT & OPT JOBS For MS IN USA
CPT (Curriculum Practical Training)
What Is CPT?
- CPT stands for Curriculum Practical Training. It is a type of employment granted to students on an F1 visa.
- Many programs in the US require a student to work to gain on-the-job experience. It is needed to do an internship/job during the course of your MS in the US.
More About CPT:
- The duration for which it is granted varies from university to university
- Generally, it is granted for 4-12 months
- If any student works full-time on CPT for more than 11 months, he cannot get OPT. So, a student needs to be very cautious about the time period of internship
- Some universities allow only part-time employment during CPT i.e. a student can work only for 20 hours per week
- Those who are granted full-time CPT can take up full-time employment
- This job must be related to your major in MS
- Universities may grant CPT during any of the semesters. It differs from university to university
- Some grant it after a student completes a specific number of courses
- Many universities give CPT only if a student has a job offer in hand
OPT (Optional Practical Training)
What Is OPT?
- It stands for Optional Practical Training. It is a 1-year work permit granted to those who completed their MS
More About OPT:
- It is granted for a period of 12 months
- For those from STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Management) backgrounds, an extension to 17 months is given
- So, effectively, an MS graduate can work on OPT for 29 months
- Taxes on what one earns while working on OPT are a very nominal i.e. only employer and state taxes are deducted.
- One can work for 40 hours a week i.e. as a regular full-time employee.
- A student can get a starting salary anywhere between $3000 and $7000.
- A student should have to find a job within 90 days after OPT is granted to him/her else he/she will become ‘out of status’ and should leave the US within 60 days.
- You need not have a job offer in hand to apply for OPT.
- Further, you should get your H1B visa approved before your OPT ends. Else, you’ll have to leave US after OPT expires.
- Many students feel that is better to apply for an H1B visa in the second year of CPT as they can save more money due to fewer taxes.
- However, it is better to apply for H1B during the first year of your OPT itself so that you get a second chance to apply for a visa in case your first application gets rejected.
Free Profile Evaluation Tool
HELPS YOU FIND BEST UNIVERSITIES THAT SUIT YOUR PROFILE