Apply To MS In US Universities By Yourself [Guide]
Many students apply to universities by themselves, seeking help directly from admissions departments of universities or from a friend, senior, relative or acquaintance who is currently studying or completed his MS from that university.
In this post, I am going to discuss the things, which students should keep in mind while applying to universities by themselves.
Checking Eligibility Criteria – GRE And IELTS/TOEFL/PTE Scores And GPA
- You may either apply to a university based on your GRE, TOEFL/IELTS/PTE scores or, conversely, select a university to which you want to apply first and work towards getting the scores that are required to secure an admit from that university.
- In whichever case, once you have the scores with you, check whether your eligible to apply to a university by visiting their website.
- Note that score requirements of universities change from Fall to Spring and year to year based on student intake and other factors.
For instance, if students with a minimum score of 6 in IELTS have been performing well in its MS program, a university may retain it as the minimum score for admission or if they haven’t been performing up to the mark, increase the minimum score.
So, you need to check the admission criteria for the current intake and not be under the impression the criteria will be the same for every intake.
Be Sure To Convert Your Academic Score (Percentage Or CGPA) Into GPA.
You Can Do It For Free Here: Https://Www.Wes.Org/Calculator/Igpa.Asp
- If you already have chosen universities to which you want to apply, you can send your scores to 4 universities for free while appearing for GRE and TOEFL/IELTS/PTE. Ensure that scores of both the tests go to same universities. Else, you might have to shell out extra money for sending reports.
- Some universities ask only for TOEFL/IELTS/PTE score and GRE score is not required. So, check the university website before reporting scores.
Filling In Application Form
- Keep the details about the department and program, especially the program code, handy while filling in the online application form on the university website.
- If you have any doubts, send an email to the admissions department seeking clarifications regarding the same. Any mistake in filling in the application form may adversely affect your chance of getting an admission in a university.
- It is always advisable to create a separate email ID for admission-related correspondence to make sure that you don’t miss out on important communication from any university.
- Once the online application is submitted, you need to send documents to universities by courier. However, some universities accept scanned copies of documents also. So, check with the admissions department for more details.
- Each set of documents needed to be sent to a university should include
- Transcripts – CMM, PC, semester-wise marks memos. You need to request the university from which you completed your BE/B.Tech to provide attested photocopies of transcripts to you. (Request as many copies as you want. JNTU in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh charge Rs.40 per one set. So, if you are applying to 5 universities, request for 5 copies).
- Attested photocopies of 10th class and Intermediate marks memos
- Bank statement and affidavit – The amount mentioned in both should match. Else, the university might seek a fresh affidavit or sometimes reject the application.
- Three Letters of Recommendation (LoRs) – Make sure you are in touch with your professor or boss, as the case may be, till they reply to the university email.
- Statement of Purpose
- A photocopy of your passport
- If you are currently pursuing your engineering, it is mandatory to include the Course Completion Certificate in the set.
- Some universities have their own format for financial statements. Make sure the affidavit and bank statement that you send meet the criteria of the university.
- Be sure to send the courier to the correct address. For some universities, you need to send the courier to the specific department in which you are seeking admission while for some others you need to send it to a centralized admissions department.
- Track your application status by regularly logging into the university website and checking your email.
- Track the courier status using the tracking ID provided by the courier service.
- Stay updated about the admission-related news of the universities to which you applied.
- If you feel that a university is rejecting too many applications in its current intake, apply to other universities to be on the safe side.
After Receiving I-20
- Schedule your visa interview 2-3 months prior to the University start date and take a few mock visa interviews.
- Use Facebook or LinkedIn to get in touch with someone who is currently pursuing his studies at the university so that he can arrange for a few days of accommodation after you land in the US.
- Now that you have received your I-20 and made arrangements for your Visa and accommodation, stay relaxed, meet friends and relatives, do shopping, watch as many movies as you want, do all that you think you’d miss after going to the US.
- Try to connect with someone from the university you joining, who can help you once you land there.
Taking Help From A Senior In Applying To A University
For those seeking help from a friend, senior or relative who is studying or has studied MS in a university in the US, you need to keep in my the following points
- Admission requirements, including scores, might have changed since your friend took admission in the University. So, don’t forget to recheck whatever information you got from you friend with the university admission authorities.
- Deadlines, course pattern may differ from Fall to Spring and year to year. So, proceed to fill in the application form after getting confirmation from authentic source i.e. university website.
Approximate Cost for the whole process.
|Item||Cost in INR|
|GRE Coaching||12000 – 15000|
|TOEFL/IELTS/PTE Coaching||5000 – 8000|
|GRE Exam Fee||12000|
|TOEFL/IELTS/PTE Exam Fee||10000|
|GRE Report||1600 per report (First four reports free)|
|TOEFL/IELTS/PTE Report||1200 per report (First four reports free)|
|Courier charges||2000 per packet|
|Bank statement||Free if you have an account. Else, no comments 🙂|
|University application fee||1800 – 12000|
How FutureInUSA Can Help You
No tie-ups. No selling of any university to students. We respect students’ choice.
As a policy, we don’t tie-up with any university as we want to remain neutral towards both students and universities. We recommend universities to a student based on his/her profile, choice and budgetary constraints.
We have a well-experienced and highly motivated team for whom career guidance is a passion. With their expert guidance, our team will ensure that your journey to your goal is smooth.
Also, we have a large community of volunteers who are currently pursuing MS in universities spread across the length and breadth of USA. We can obtain real-time information about almost 300 universities from them.
Visa guidance and career help after MS
Our CEO Mr. Chaitanya Vaddi has a rich experience of leading HR and Talent Acquisition teams at several reputed IT companies including Oracle, IBM, Apps Associates and NetXcell. He can guide you on how to draft a good CV, Statement of Purpose and customize it based on what a university would be looking for in a student. He can share visa interview tips and conduct mock interviews to give you an idea of what questions would be asked based on your profile.
We can provide guidance regarding courses to get trained in before you leave to the US and can also assist you in your placements after your MS.
Our counseling and guidance can help you save a lot of time and money in the following ways:
If you are applying to 5 universities
Free Profile Evaluation – Saves Rs.10,000 for GRE and IELTS/TOEFL/PTE score reporting (Rs.2800 per University)
We do a free profile evaluation based on your GRE and IELTS/TOEFL/PTE mock test scores. They can help you to apply to four universities for free at the time of your exam itself. This can save you about Rs.2800 per university and a lot of time as you need not worry about the scores reaching the university on time.
Note: Many students are not utilizing this benefit and paying Rs.2800 per university unnecessarily.
Courier Charges – Saves Rs.5000 (We charge only Rs. 1000 per packet)
UPS (United Parcel Service) is our courier partner. Since we send couriers in bulk they charge only 1,000 per packet. Normally the charge is Rs.2000 per packet if you send by yourself. Further, you will have to send another courier if a university requests for additional documents which will cost another Rs.2000.
Our admission coordinators will ensure that such a situation does not arise in the first place and even if it does, the courier charge would again be half of what you pay outside.
FutureInUSA was founded by current and former graduate students in the USA who felt the need to have a student-friendly platform to help those aspiring to pursue their higher education in the US.
For us, career guidance is a passion. We are not a 100% commercial enterprise.